Birth control pills and other forms of hormonal birth control can also help regulate the menstrual cycle. Hormonal birth control also reduces menstrual flow because they keep the endometrial lining very thin. Estrogen and progestin in hormonal birth control can help to restore normal hormone balance.
What lab work may my Alpha provider order to diagnose abnormal uterine bleeding?
Your Alpha Provider may order:
- Blood tests called:
- a complete blood count (CBC) to help determine if you have anemia or an infection
- thyroid stimulating hormone can determine if you have an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism)
- tests for certain bleeding disorders such as:
- von Willebrand factor , INR, PT, PTT
- Urine test for sexually transmitted infections (STIs) like chlamydia, gonorrhea, and trichomonas OR
- Home self-collection test for for sexually transmitted infections (STIs) like chlamydia, gonorrhea, and trichomonas
Your provider may also recommend that you check a home urine pregnancy test.