- Limit your caffeine intake to 2 cups per day.
- Avoid tuna, tilefish, swordfish (The mercury that you consume from these types of fish gets concentrated in the developing fetus and can adversely affect the nervous system.)
- No raw meats, seafood, e.g., no steak tartare, sushi, sashimi, crudo.
- No unpasteurized cheeses due to a risk of Listeria which is a bacteria that can cause fever and other flu-like symptoms, such as fatigue and muscle aches in the pregnant woman and can lead to miscarriage, stillbirth, premature delivery, or life-threatening infection of the newborn.
- Do not drink alcohol in pregnancy.
Note: Vegetarians need at least 50 grams protein a day, think nuts, nut butters, cheeses, tofu, tempeh, whey powder in shakes, yogurt: 5gm/serving minimum is significant