How can I prevent a bacterial nail infection?
- Clip your fingernails and toenails short and keep them clean.
- Avoid cutting your cuticles
- If you have chronic disease that increases your risk of nail infections, get periodically checked for nail hygiene by your clinician
- Avoid shared, unsterilized nail manicure equipment
- If you get a manicure or pedicure at a salon, make sure the staff sterilizes its equipment.
- Don’t shave your legs for at least 24 hours before a pedicure, because shaving may cause nicks and breaks in the skin that could lead to infection.