How can I prevent cutaneous warts?
- Avoid touching someone’s wart.
- Make sure that everyone in your home has their own towels, washcloths, razors, nail clippers, socks, and other personal items.
- Clean and cover cuts and scrapes to minimize the risk of HPV getting into your body.
- Wash your hands often.
- Keep skin well-moisturized. Dry, cracked skin creates entry points for HPV which could cause a wart.
- Do not nail bite and cuticle chew. Openings due to nailing biting and cuticle chewing make it easier for HPV to get inside your body.
- Wear flip-flops or pool shoes in locker rooms, pool areas, and public showers.