A combination of self care, counseling and pharmacologic treatment can produce higher quit rates than either alone.
Self care includes:
- Setting a quit date
- Sharing with family and friends your decision to quit and quit date
- Identifying your triggers for tobacco use and developing a plan for managing cravings
- Eliminating all of the items you use around tobacco use
Options for counseling at no cost are:
- The telephone quitline, 800-QUIT-NOW
- web-based and text messaging cessation support (eg, at www.smokefree.gov)
Check with your insurance plan for in-person counseling that may be available to you at no cost.