Make sure you understand your dosing instructions. Spray only the number of prescribed sprays in each nostril. Read the package instructions before using your spray the first time.
Most corticosteroid sprays suggest the following steps:
- Wash your hands well.
- Gently blow your nose to clear the passageway.
- Shake the container several times.
- Keep your head upright. DO NOT tilt your head back.
- Breathe out.
- Block one nostril with your finger.
- Insert the nasal applicator into the other nostril.
- Aim the spray toward the outer wall of the nostril.
- Inhale slowly through the nose and press the spray applicator.
- Breathe out and repeat to apply the prescribed number of sprays.
- Repeat these steps for the other nostril.
Avoid sneezing or blowing your nose right after spraying.