You can get syphilis by direct contact with a syphilis sore during vaginal, anal, or oral sex. You can find sores on or around the penis, vagina, or anus, or in the rectum, on the lips, or in the mouth. Syphilis can spread from an infected mother to her unborn baby.
Articles in this section
- What is syphilis?
- How is syphilis transmitted?
- What does syphilis look like?
- How can I reduce my risk of getting syphilis?
- Am I at risk for syphilis?
- I’m pregnant. How does syphilis affect my baby?
- What are the signs and symptoms of syphilis?
- How will I or my doctor know if I have syphilis?
- Can syphilis be cured?
- I’ve been treated. Can I get syphilis again?