Genital herpes is caused by the herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) or type 2 (HSV-2). HSV-2 infection is more common among females assigned at birth than among males assigned at birth; the percentages of those infected during 2015-2016 were 15.9% versus 8.2% respectively, among 14 to 49 year olds.
Articles in this section
- Do you accept insurance?
- What is genital herpes?
- Is genital herpes a sexually transmitted infection (STI)?
- What causes genital herpes?
- Can genital herpes be cured?
- Can a genital herpes outbreak be prevented?
- How is HSV-2 transmitted?
- How can I protect myself and my partner from contracting sexually transmitted infections?
- Am I only infectious when I have an outbreak?
- What treatment does Alpha Medical have for genital herpes infection?