Valacyclovir is a prodrug of acyclovir. In other words, valacyclovir is converted into acyclovir in your body. Acyclovir is the active component that fights off attacks of oral cold sores, genital herpes, and shingles in your body. Valacyclovir and acyclovir are both anti-viral medications. Valacyclovir works similarly as acyclovir and has an added advantage of a longer half-life meaning that you don’t have to take valacyclovir as frequently as acyclovir.
Articles in this section
- Do you accept insurance?
- What is genital herpes?
- Is genital herpes a sexually transmitted infection (STI)?
- What causes genital herpes?
- Can genital herpes be cured?
- Can a genital herpes outbreak be prevented?
- How is HSV-2 transmitted?
- How can I protect myself and my partner from contracting sexually transmitted infections?
- Am I only infectious when I have an outbreak?
- What treatment does Alpha Medical have for genital herpes infection?