Concerns about long-term use of the benzodiazepines led many doctors to favor tricyclic antidepressants (amitriptyline, imipramine, and nortriptyline). Although effective in the treatment of some anxiety disorders(but not Social Anxiety Disorder), they can cause significant side effects, including orthostatic hypotension (drop in blood pressure on standing), constipation, urinary retention, dry mouth, and blurry vision.
Articles in this section
- What is Anxiety?
- How common are anxiety disorders?
- What are the signs and symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder?
- Are women more likely to have anxiety than men?
- Are anxiety disorders treatable?
- What are anxiety disorders?
- Are anxiety disorders and depression the same?
- What are the major types of anxiety disorders?
- What causes anxiety disorders?
- How do I know if I have anxiety disorders?