Combined hormonal methods have several benefits in addition to protecting against pregnancy:
- They may make your period more regular, lighter, and shorter.
- They help reduce menstrual cramps.
- They decrease the risk of cancer of the uterus, ovary, and colon.
- They may improve acne and reduce unwanted hair growth.
- They can be used to treat certain disorders that cause heavy bleeding and menstrual pain, such as fibroids andendometriosis.
- Used continuously, they can reduce the frequency of migraines associated with menstruation (although they should not be used if you have migraines with aura).
- They also can be used to treat heavy bleeding and pain by stopping the menstrual period.