What foods are good sources of iron?
- Meats such as beef, pork, lamb, liver, and other organ meats.
- Poultry such as chicken, duck, and turkey (especially dark meat).
- Fish and shellfish including sardines, anchovies, clams, mussels, and oysters. Check with your healthcare provider before consuming other types of fish as some may contain high levels of mercury.
- Leafy greens of the cabbage family such as broccoli, kale, turnip greens, and collards.
- Legumes such as lima beans and green peas, dry beans and peas such as pinto beans and black-eyed peas, and canned baked beans.
- Whole-grain breads and iron-enriched white bread, pasta, rice, and cereals.